Monday, January 17, 2011

End of Term; To Laugh or To Cry; Aim for The Moon

Whew. It’s the end of college spell. Plenty of memories to saviour, though many of them are pretty embarrassing but it’ll be so fucking funny when we look back. These good days.

I had a great end to my semester. It ends with the last exam paper with an additional STOMACH ACHE. I don’t understand why. I shit before i leave for college but my stomach begin growling in pain as soon as i step out of the house. It was too late to go back to the toilet so i went ahead with the last exam.

I was laughing my way throughout the test because it was easy, though i regretted not memorizing one question. So, you could imagine, the worse the stomach ache, the faster i complete the paper. I completed it in 1 hour and when to the clubhouse to shit.

The clubhouse toilet is my favourite toilet. It feels like home. It’s clean and complete. What a great way to end the term.

But there’s more after the exam. Before the last paper, me and my project mates received a letter for the VIVA interview (pronounced as vai va, not viva). No idea what the hell it means but it’s an interview for the final year project students who got an A or failed their thesis. I was expecting a fail or a pass. Since i got the letter, i braced for it.

Opened it, i saw the date: 17 January 2011. That’s a date for those who got an A. I don’t know how to react. The car was screwed up and yet i got an A. I went home, not knowing whether to laugh or to cry. I went out with my girl that night and i bought myself a Carlsberg special brew. I drink it all quick. Then, lying on the bed much later, looking at the ceiling still not knowing whether to laugh of to cry.

Suddenly, i felt so sleepy. It was already midnight anyway. So, i slept. The next morning, i still do not know whether to cry or to laugh. At night, my girl talked to me and i laughed. WOHOO! I GOT AN A FOR MY PROJECT!

That A is very precious. It’s precious because the subject carries 6 credit-hours, which means it’ll boost your CGPA A LOT. It is also precious because some say our supervisor, a chattered engineer, is a tough man to deal with, what more getting an A. It is also precious because at least i know there are people out there who understood and appreciate what we have done despite constant inference by the wrong people.

During the VIVA interview, there was only one question asked by a lecturer just to get clear of one confusing part. To put things in perspective, the VIVA interview is the toughest presentation. The panel expects you to be the best in your presentation and flawless in your thesis. They will question you to test how far you understood your thing and how deep is your understanding. It’s a no joke. We wore out best formal dress minus the coat.

We were prepared for the worse, especially since our prototype failed. We were sure they are gonna bombard us with questions to prove our worth for an A. If our presentation wasn’t impressive, we might be downgraded.

But surprisingly everything went smooth. The panel seems very impressed by everything we had done. The only complaint was our thesis. There referencing flaws and many other flaws. So, the head of division gave our thesis back and correct them to retain the A. It has to be flawless.

Once upon a time, i read a book called P.S. I Love You. It was a great book. I remembered a phrase from the book very well. It says: Aim for the moon. If you missed, at least you’ll land among the stars.

We’ve missed, but we landed upon the stars. We got an A together with a hell lot of knowledge and experience. We practically carved a path for ourselves into a new future and into a new discipline. Our lecturers were very supportive of our further planning and even gave us a VIP to approach: another chattered engineer who is a professional in the automotive engineering.

My team mate will help me to realize the dream and i have many opportunities waiting for me to grab. All i need to do is put in more effort. My parents, who used to be sceptical about my vision, was finally convinced i’m on the right track by judging on the response from people.

It just feels great. But we have more work to do. We are only at the stars. We need to go further. The universe is boundless. We just have to work it.

To my fellow course-mates-cum-new engineers. I wish everyone the best of the best. I wish they would do the same, aim for the moon and achieve something meaningful in their lives. All we need is passion, commitment and the balls to do it. GOOD LUCK!

image

Photo courtesy of Chong Yao Wei

No comments:

Post a Comment